Monday, October 13, 2008

Ember-licious!

In celebration of mine and Jenn's birthdays, we decided to bring ourselves out for a nice and quaint quiet dinner. It's kinda sad that the rest of the gals are no longer here to join in the celebrations, but life goes on.

Not knowing where to head, we decided to try Ember at Hotel 1929. We prob were one of the last few people in Singapore to uncover this much-talked and raved about gem. But well, better late than never.

I brought my yummy-licious sparkling Pinot Shiraz purchased at the last OZ trip at Domain Chandon. Ooh, speaking of which, Princess Min is now down under on her much much deserved holiday with her shining Lord in amour. Envy, envy.... :)

Alright, back to the evening.. don't expect a big restaurant! Ember was cosy and quaint, recommend to book in advance as the place does not serve a big crowd. When I saw the menu, I almost wanted to order everything.. haha.. it's just me being greedy!


For starters, we chose the pan-seared foie gras served under a warm bed of enoki mushrooms and the chilled angel hair pasta delightfully accompanied with konbu and abalone to share. What a wonderful start to our dinner. (Sorry, didn't manage to snap the foie gras, we immediately 'attacked' the dish the moment it was served!)


Pegs raved about the ox-tail at Ember, but somehow I couldn't find it out the menu. So either I am blind or this was a secret dish that only people in the know knew. For the mains, Jenn had the miso cod-fish (a house fave by many), whilst I selected the chilean sea-bass served with a warm yuzu-truffle butter sauce and mushrooms. I love, love, love anything yuzu. Having said this, I miss TOKYO and all the yummy YUZU delicacies the city beholds. The fish was perfect! The yuzu flavour wasn't that distinctive, I felt that the truffle overpowered the fresh and citrus flavour of the yuzu. But nevertheless, the fish was soft with its meat melting into my palette.


There is always room for dessert! But we didn't want to appear to be too greedy, so we shared the lemon sorbet mille-feuille served over strawberries. That was the much-needed finishing touch to end this wonderful dinner.

No comments: